Wednesday 21 May 2008

harder than expected

my fellow intern quit last week. she was going to possibly take over the farm in the future, and because of that, way too many responsibilities and pressures were put upon her and she'd had it. im feeling a little lonely and scared. how am i to do all of the things it took all of my energy plus hers to do, every day?
its only so bad because we got along so famously, worked so well together, had the same strong work ethic, spent every waking moment together and i could really see myself farming with her long term in the future. maby i will some day.
other than that, and multiple other massive issues like communication, definitions of community, gender, cultural and age gaps (that feel somehow like un-crossable chasms), lack of appreciation and a total disregard for respecting humans....... im alright.
really, i love this island and the csa project im working on half the time is so gratifying and challenging. i feel like im really doing it!(market gardening) making real decisions, im really a part of something i can call my own there. its my happy place, and the people im working with on the csa keep me sane. i can talk to them and they to me, we are a support system for each other.
i will keep you posted. send me love and encouragement. i see the situation as a massive life lesson in bridging gaps and intensive communication skills.
hope your spring has sprung, cold and rainy here today, but last week hot and sunny. still waiting for the weather to really shift, and still waiting for fields to dry out enough to till and plant veggies.
love
erin

2 comments:

robin h said...

Hi Erin, I was sorry to hear that your co-worker quit . The irony about farming is that the 'dream' lifestyle that draws people into this work is only a reality in fleeting moments ... thats not to say that the dream is illusory but that it is easy to lose sight of it amid the constant challenges of working closely with other people and their dreams and visions...
The reason I quit my last job in scotland was due to a feeling that the needs of the 'business' had transcended the needs of the people who were working there.
I often say that advice is cheap and normally useless so here goes...A large part of farming,indeed many jobs , is basically problem solving . Try to approach problems as tasks , and bring the same open mind and tactful approach to each new challenge as you did with the last...I'm sure being around people ,despite the challenges they can present, is ultimately better than working in isolation.... I'm sure it will work out well for you ...take it easy R

Arjen Huese said...

Hi Erin,
look well after yourself - and if it gets out of hand then really do get in touch with me and we'll sort something out. Take care! Arjen