Thursday 14 August 2008

Katharina can milk

I went on one of my student-on-placement inspections last week, up in Scotland to see if Katharina is still in Loch Arthur and to see what she learned... And yes! Katharina was busy milking when we were there, all on her own without any farmer in sight: that is a Distinction!!! She was also harvesting broccoli and generally having a good time. The Johan van Wallenburg who was on your timetable pulled out last minute and I have been out there recruiting guest teachers all the way up in the Scottish highlands. I found some guys wanting to teach bagpiping and haggis-cooking but after a long search and a battle with the Loch Ness monster I found a biodynamic farmer deep down where it rains one-and-a-half metres a year who was willing to come to the South to teach animal husbandry: Charlie Wannop. He will be accompanied in spring by another Scotsman Timothy Brink who will also teach dairy farming. Timothy is currently the director of the Demeter Certification. Ramon and me climbed mount Screel and after that we got so soaked that we drove back to England fast and quick.

No comments: