Friday 17 April 2009

peat cutters

So folks chapter 1 of my Irish adventure has come suddenly to a close. It seems that I did not take the apocalypse seriously enough, or dig fast enough as part of their 10 hour/7 day a week working schedule (the father/fuhrer there is building a tower for a windmill, which is to serve likewise for defensive purposes), to be an acceptable helper on the Belgian family's survivalist farm that I came here to work on. So.. I have now been relocated to the closest organic enterprise, which is clearly the real reason that I came here for. It was nonetheless most worthwhile to have seen the setup that the first place had: they grow lots of exotic, particularly Andean crops (the idea being that when the collapse happens and the ransackers come, they will not be able to recognise many of the edible crops - they even eat guinea pigs!), lots of perennial crops, 2 polytunnels, cows (4), sheep(30), goats(7), pigs(4), hens(30), ducks(30), geese(15), turkeys(5), pigeons, guinea pigs, ferrets, dogs and honey bees. And building lots of new things. Some work ethic. But somewhat too much an atmosphere of doom and gloom to say the least. They are neo-Darwinists/Dawkinsists to top it all off. I got a bit bored by these things quite fast, which didn't help. Actually not afraid of death, which they clearly are. Anyway I am now working for guess what a Dutchman who is growing organic (but he doesn't certify due to getting crap from bureaucrats) who is a most helpful teacher. So I suspect that I shall remain here for some time. Over/out.

a.

No comments: