Saturday 19 April 2008

Hi ...apologies to anyone confused by my last fictional entry.I could ramble on at length about the many different tasks I have been given since I arrived here but I think that would be as enthralling as watching a dead toad dry out on a hot day. Today I walked to Ruskin Mill , which is about 8 miles away. DHF has Ruskin students here to work once a week, the managers eldest son is one of the group that comes over.It was a form of pilgrimage to walk to the nearest BD farm.The route took me through vast fields of industrial-chemical "agriculture" and it was a relief to arrive at Gables Farm and find horse-drawn equipment in recent action. Last week I was able to use the flame weeder, brush weeder and best of all; The Vacuum Seeder!
Some of you may remember this machine from a video Arjen showed us... I have always liked farm machinery and this one is the business! I drilled my first ever field-scale carrots and hope to do much more of this..... There is a Dutch grower here called Fred who studied at Warmoderhof . We get on well and he has given me excellent tuition when setting up the machines . He also obtained an Earthways seeder for me so I have sown some stuff with that as well. There we are... Isaid I wouldnt ramble on but I have! Perhaps I should be in politics

No comments: