Tuesday 22 April 2008

Serious stuff

Thank you for these hilarious and enthusiastic stories!  
Time to give you more from Brasil.
I am on the farm A BOA TERRA for two weeks now.  The main task that I have to do here is to create a 4000m educational garden where schoolchildren will come weekly to grow there veg, herbs and fruit.  It is a big thing here at the sitio and I am very excited to do this.  The first week I had to bring  2 hectares of bush, forest and creeks into a exact map.  Now we are planning the whole idea based on books (eco litteracy, Fritjof Capra), experiences ( they already had 14000 children coming on educational sessions on nature and agriculture) and wishes.
So as I am jalous about you guys and girls getting on with the real dirt I feel happy that I can take this important task on me.  I could also arrange with the "farmer"more the organiser that I start next week in the veg production.  The problem is that they work with 3 teams (families) and they are independent.  They rent the land and sell the veg to the farm.  So where do I fit in? 

The language starts to make sense so I hope it will all get along.  The house we are about to live in is painted in our free hours and we still hope to get the bats and birds out without using poison.  Our herb garden florishes and I feel it all starts to roll...

And every moring I have to stop somewhere to look at the incredible beauty of nature here!
On the 100 hectares sitio they have 135 types of birds, lots of little rivers and swamps and all the flowers and fruits you wished for.
I saw they use some horses to cultivate so I hope to get going with this one day.
The cows here are used in a reforesting program.  They eat the elephant grass short so trees can grow.  The trick seems to be to keep the cows in just before they start eating the trees!

Cristiane is enjoying herself with setting up a new education program based on the theory of "the private eye".  You might have heard about it.  

And honestly, I would love to come and visit every one of you to have a good chat!!!
Ciao

No comments: