Tuesday 29 April 2008

transition tramp

I finally get paid tomorrow! This will end a period of poverty that has pissed me off a lot .I have been living on about £3.50 a day for the last month . Ok , so I can have free carrots ,potatoes ,kale and milk but would you be content on that diet ? I also had to stop using my car as I couldn't afford road tax for it,so have had no alternative but to walk to ***** supermarket for supplies. This has raised an ethical dilemma; is it better to drive 10 miles to Stroud ,which is full of shops for greenies , or walk to a supermarket?
Rising fuel prices have got me thinking about the Transition movement and how to respond to this issue in farming. This farm has about 10 tractors most of which are in daily use . I reckon these machines alone are using 3-500 litres a week.... if we were spraying preps as well ,fuel consumption would be even higher. It seems this paradigm of 'industrial' bd/organic is not sustainable.Can a shift to horse and people powered farming be achieved without some kind of crisis that forces the change?
On a lighter note,I recently met one of the humblest residents at DHF, an elderly Irish tramp who lives in a barn up the road.Last time the 'Boss' was here ,he went up to look at the barn as it has recently been renovated.He was apparently concerned for the welfare of this guy and asked one of the staff to give him some bedding... its good to know there is room for a tramp on this farm.

arm.

1 comment:

ORMUS said...

Was thinking today, if people are managing to get cars to run on water, wouldn't it be possible to do the same for tractors?

Robin please send me an email:
ormus23(replacewithatsign)gmail(dot)com

A.